Thursday, March 20, 2014

Reproductive Unit Reflection to Character Building?!

In my Animal Science class I have been teaching the students about the reproductive system. Here are some of the concepts the students have learned throughout the unit"

  • Artificial Insemination Techniques
  • Male Anatomy
  • Female Anatomy
  • Estrous Cycle
  • Reproductive Hormones
This is A LOT of information to comprehend. I employed five or six different techniques to help the students understand the concepts. The students mapped out the hormone track with chalk, created anatomy posters, took notes, watched videos, and engaged in class discussions all out reproduction. I knew this unit and the concepts involved were difficult and it was going to be a challenge for me, as an educator, to adequately portray the information in a way the students will understand and comprehend the information. Yesterday the students took their unit exam. I set up the exam in a very unorthodox manner. There were four stations that the students rotated through in groups. Two of the stations the students where able to utilize one another's knowledge and the other two was individual work. 

Today I organized the class in a Socratic Circle to reflect on the unit. My goal was to find out what activities throughout the unit worked well and which was needed improvement. It was pretty much just a reflection on my teaching so I could tweak it for the next time. The conversation started out as normal. The students were telling me what they enjoyed and what they didn't like. Then all of a sudden the conversation turned when a student brought up the fact that he didn't like working in randomly chosen groups because he didn't feel comfortable with some of his peers. Some other students commented in agreement saying that they didn't want to speak up or ask questions because they didn't want to look stupid in front of the others. They don't want others to judge them so they don't feel like they can be themselves.

Up until this point in the conversation I remained silent just absorbing everything the students were saying. I had to interject when I sensed a huge lack of confidence in the majority of my students. When I looked at each one of my students sitting in front of me with skepticism on their faces and obvious thoughts of self-doubt running through their minds I could no longer keep quite. 

The following is my "speech" to the class: "If you are uncomfortable walking into a crowded room and speaking or working with strangers it is because you have not embraced your strengths. Each and everyone of you has your own strengths and wonderful characteristics that you need to find and embrace. When you walk into a room you  need to say to yourself I am special because I am... fill that in with your dominant character trait. Have the mindset that you are valuable and you have something to offer. Make it a point to share your strengths with others."

At this point a student interjected me and said, "I don't feel special and I certainly can't tell myself I am special." Wow! Apparently, what I see in each one of my students is not what they see in themselves when they look in the mirror. I told them that I think they are special and they have all impacted me this year. I can tell each student one of their strengths and how it has benefited me as an educator and the class as a whole. 

"Marsh! You think we are special? Tell us why we are special! Tell us what our strengths are!" This was the class's chant once I finished my sentence. The rest of the period I went through each student and told the class why that student was special and what they have to offer. I only got through about ten students and when the bell rang all the students told me, "You know we have to continue this tomorrow, because I want to know why I am special."

Our reflective discussion on the reproductive system unit took a ninety degree and landed on character and who you are. I learned a big lesson today-students have self-doubt and it is our job as educators to help our students see their true potential. We can be the catalyst for our kids. We can help them see and develop their strengths. We know their character and who they really are, even before they know! 

Educators-Never forget the power and influence you have on your students and their self-perception. You can make a student's bad day, good. 

Use your power to empower!!!!

1 comment:

  1. this is amazing and wonderful, your new students should read these

    ReplyDelete