Monday, March 18, 2013

*Let's Get Cutting*

I am all about teaching and then showing. We studied the reproductive system for weeks in my veterinary science class and finally it is time to show them the real thing.

First I had the students dissect foal testicles.


The next day all the students got the chance to practice artificially inseminating a bovine. The students where really surprised at how hard it was to get the rod through the cervix's maze.




Something new I tried was once we got to actually dissecting the bovine reproduction track I cut just below the cervix and made each student feel the cervix with their finger. This gave them the opportunity to feel how complex and tight the cervix is. It shined some light on why it was so difficult for them to get the AI rod past it. 

Using both ovaries I was able to show the students what each stage of the developing follicle and degenerating corpus luteum looks like. 



No comments:

Post a Comment